Frequently Asked Questions:
- How do I create a profile on your site?
- Do you inspect accommodations or screen visiting students?
- What is a reasonable homestay fee?
- How are homestay fees handled?
- What is the difference between a featured and standard homestay?
- How do I upgrade my account?
- My profile hasn't appeared on the website. Have I done something wrong?
- I have replied to a message sent via the site but have not gotten a response. How can I be sure that it was delivered?
- Can I get in touch with my homestay family/visiting student before arriving in the city?
- Are language schools and homestay agencies allowed to list on the site?
1. How do I create a profile on your site?
Creating a profile on our site is as easy as filling in a short application form. Students please click here
, and homestay families please click here
You will receive a confirmation email at the address you used on the form as well as an activation link. Please click on this link and your profile will appear on the site immediately.
2. Do you inspect accommodations or screen visiting students?
We do not make site visits or inspect homestay accommodations, nor screen prospective guests (although profiles will be removed from our site for misrepresentation or misuse.) As with any other on-line introduction service we recommend that you check references and ask questions where applicable. Photos of accommodations are typically available upon request.
Our site is simply a forum for putting homestay families and visiting students in touch. It is up to both to arrange the particulars of their stay.
3. What is a reasonable homestay fee?
Fees will vary from neighbourhood to neighbourhood as well as by services offered (ie. full meal service, airport pickup, etc.) They are usually comparable to local, competitive market rates. As a guideline please see other listings on the site which have already set a rate. If you are still unsure just leave the space empty on your form.
4. How are homestay fees handled?
We do not handle any money transactions. Fees are paid directly to homestay hosts by the visiting student, typically upon arrival or at the beginning of every month.
5. What is the difference between a featured and standard homestay?
There are actually two types of homestay listings, standard and featured. Student listings are always free.
Standard listings are free and allow visiting students to get in touch via a contact form at the bottom of the homestay profile. Featured listings are $8.50 per month (via paypal) and allow homestays to initiate contact with students. In addition:
- feature homestays appear before standard listings in all directory pages and searches
- a different feature homestay is profiled and promoted to the search engines via Google Ad words
- paid members can include photos of their home
6. How do I upgrade my account?
Homestay families, to upgrade your listing please click here
. You will be taken to a secure paypal page to set up payments. It typically takes upto 8 hours from the time you pay to upgrade your account.
7. My profile hasn't appeared on the website. Have I done something wrong?
If your profile has not appeared on the site please check your inbox to ensure that you have received a confirmation email. If you need assistance submitting or editing your listing please contact us
8. I have replied to a message sent via the site but have not gotten a response.
All messages delivered via our service appear with our name in the 'from' field. Please be sure to copy the address mentioned in the body of the message to make sure that it goes to the right person. Do not just press 'reply', these messages are returned to our office and not the sender
Don't forget that many guests and hosts have limited access to the internet and may not check their email every day. Be patient and give them a little while to respond.
9. Can I get in touch with my homestay family/visiting student before arriving in the city?
Absolutely, this is encouraged. It gives families and guests a chance to get to know each other, exchange photos and discuss any house rules and expectations prior to arrival. That way there are no surprises and it makes for an easier integration into daily routines.
10. Are language schools and homestay agencies allowed to list on the site?
We ask that language schools and homestay agencies not list directly on our site. Our service is exclusively for the purpose of putting families and students directly in touch. We find that stronger relationships develop when we eliminate the middleman and it adds a personal touch to our service.
We are happy to work with schools and agencies, though. Please feel free to contact us
to discuss your needs.